Saturday 30 January 2010

Building Capacity in Others

Fred was struggling to carry his load. So, believing that he might benefit from my experience and extra capacity, I offered to carry it for him.

After a while, Fred became unhappy about the way that I was carrying it.

I tried to explain that the path, both behind and ahead of us, was difficult to pass, and that maybe his expectations were a little unrealistic.

All the same, Fred took it back in search of someone who might carry it in a more satisfying way.

Fred found Jim, who, in the large print, offers to carry the loads of others. Jim is a pretty popular guy. Fred also now feels much better about the way that his load is being carried.

If he had read the small print, Fred would also know that, due to a binding covenant with Jim, most of his load is actually being carried by me.

Beginning to feel a little exhausted, and desiring to pray for neither rest nor strength, I resolve that the most worthwhile thing to do is to try and help increase Fred's capacity to carry his own load.

Although this is not the kind of help that Fred is looking for.

[1411:4462]

No comments: